Sunday, January 16, 2011

16

Chapter 16

"Give God time."

This was repeated several times throughout the chapter. I find it interesting because Murray seems to explain the delay in the answer to our prayers is a result of the work needed to be done in us. Thus, the quote really could be, 'Give God time to work in you."

I am thankful that Murray first recognized the mystery of unanswered/delayed prayer before giving his explanation behind it. I appreciate both his attempt to answer and the answer itself; There is much wisdom to be found here. In the delay we must wait in faith, wait with patience, but wait with expectation and joy. I believe that this is impossible without the Holy Spirit, because our flesh does not like to wait on anything for long. This is why walking with the Holy Spirit and praying in the Holy Spirit (not a tongues reference, relax) are inseparable.

3 comments:

  1. I was reminded of this verse as I read this chapter-

    "An inheritance quickly gained at the beginning will not be blessed at the end." (Proverbs 21:20)

    My flesh hates to wait, to put work into anything. I want the easy answer, the easy way out, the instant gratification of something. But Murray reminds me that it it so much more than receiving the answer to the prayer.

    "The blessing is all prepared; He is not only willing but most anxious to give them what they ask; everlasting love burns with the longing desire to reveal itself fully to its beloved, and to satisfy their needs. God will not delay one moment longer than is absolutely necessary; He will do all in His power to hasten and speed the answer."

    He is so good to know what I need and He is even better to exercise everlasting kindness to give me what I need at the time that is best for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound and anointed is this book!
    Especially this chapter for me.
    Fatherliness is the road of consecration.
    Beloved are we!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "of all the mysteries of the prayer world, the need for persevering prayer is one of the greatest"

    "He will avenge them speedily"

    We babies like half ripe fruit until we actually take a bite... then we whine. The faith that has believed it has received can allow God to take His time.

    It is only too tempting to be persuaded that it is not God's will to give.

    "Nature discovers her secrets and yields her treasures only to diligent and thoughtful labor"

    ReplyDelete