Friday, January 7, 2011

5.

prayer blog

chapter five

"Let every learner in the school of Christ therefore take the Master's word in all simplicity: Every one that asketh, receiveth.  He had good reasons for  speaking so unconditionally.  Let us beware of weakening the Word with our human wisdom.  When He tells us heavenly things, let us believe Him: His Word will explain itself to him who believes it fully.  If questions and difficulties arise, let us not seek to have them settled before we accept the Word.  No; let us entrust them all to Him: it is His to solve them: our work is first and fully to accept and hold fast His promise"


Well, I certainly am I who has added human wisdom to try to explain away the mystery and difficulty of certain Bible passages.  As I read this chapter though, I believe that what I do is not add human wisdom as much as I attempt to cover up the fact that I do not live up to Biblical standards a lot of the time.  I explain away the mystery because its still a mystery to me.  

Let us resolve together to do one thing: instead of changing the word to fit our experience, let us allow the word to change us and our experience.  I definitely want to understand the complexity and depth of truth in the promise of asking and receiving.  I do not want to pray if all it is going to be is a religious activity that I check off my list.  But, I want to get to know the God who has made this outrageous promise to me - that when I ask, I am to receive; when I seek, I am to find; when I knock, I am to see open doors before me.    
Sounds good - I am in!

4 comments:

  1. i was conflicted while reading this cause i've always heard from several teachings that sometimes in the scriptures and in our lives the Lord will be silent in order for us to rely on the wisdom and teaching that has built up inside of us. I also thought that's why there was so much wisdom mentioned in the bible so that when we do not hear his voice we have something to go to.

    I guess I always looked for the balance of when to hear his voice and when to seek wisdom and it sounds like Murray is saying that his voice will always be heard as an answer to a prayer.

    So then is wisdom simply another form of answered prayer? or should I stop reading proverbs? (not that i do all the time or anything)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wisdom is a form of answered prayer. I also think it is OK to allow room for mystery, as it will not all be explained.

    I also enjoyed his comment about bread for the body, forgiveness for the soul--this being an actual transaction and thus a reality (from chapter 4). It is like your last paragraph, Clay. I think the reality of forgiveness is a concept that can transform us from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is Sophie by the way, I am going through my notes from when I read.. sorry I haven't commented yet. On the first few I didn't really have anything to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the word they just made me type in to make sure I am not a robot was "unchill"

    ReplyDelete