Monday, January 3, 2011

3

Quote from the third lesson:

"Not on the strong or fervent feeling with which I pray does the blessing of the closet depend, but upon the love and the power of the Father to whom I there entrust my needs."

Can I get an 'amen' here?!?! How often I have evaluated my prayer life based on how I felt in the moment of prayer or after the fact, yet both vantage points are missing the point. If I 'felt' good then does that magically make my prayers better? If I felt 'nothing' does that mean that my prayers did not make it all the way to the top? This all sounds silly now but this is such a trap for many of us - to make prayer about how we feel instead of what Christ offers.

Lord, help us to be able to focus on You - what You have done, what You are doing, what You will do - instead of focusing on ourselves. We confess that we are weak in prayer, but You not only will teach us how to do it, but You strongly desire to help us. That desire is so strong that You promise to be there EVERYTIME we close the door and pray - despite our feelings. Thank you for the revelation of this truth; Now may accept it and be transformed by it. Amen.

2 comments: